Virgin Atlantic Airlines is Britain's second largest airline. Founded in 1984 by the very charismatic Richard Branson, Virgin has become a pioneering force among international air carriers and has won countless awards for their service and their innovative approach to air travel.
Entry requirements for pets entering the United Kingdom are very strictly regulated and enforced. Virgin Atlantic recommends contacting one of their booking agents before you travel to reserve a spot for your pet. You are also advised to familiarize yourself with Pet Travel Schemes sanctioned by the United Kingdom's Department for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs (DEFRA) and with all rules governing the transport of pets to and from the United Kingdom.
Remember, your pet's best defense against a long quarantine period is a valid and up-to-date pet passport and compliance with all DEFRA rules and regulations.
Virgin Atlantic Cargo has a team dedicated to ensuring your pet's comfort and security. They will gladly accept pets for transport in the cargo holds of their aircraft so long as all requirements are met. If you will be travelling with your pet, they ask that you contact them well in advance to ensure that your animal companion will be able to travel with you.
- Travelers are reminded that every country has different rules and regulations governing the acceptance of animals. It is strongly recommended that you contact the consulate, embassy, or government authority for any country (or countries) you will be visiting to ensure that you have met all entrance requirements.
- Virgin will not accept certain breeds of brachycephalic (or "snub-nosed") dogs and cats. Please consult a service agent or the Virgin Atlantic website for a list of these breeds.
- Some breeds of dogs (considered "fighting dogs") may not be accepted on Virgin Airlines flights. For a full list please see their website or consult a bookings agent.
- Virgin will not accept pets that have been sedated.
- On most flights pets may travel unaccompanied. The only exceptions are if you're travelling from Orlando or Barbados into Gatwick. On these flights pets must be accompanied.
- The minimum pet carrier size that Virgin Atlantic will accept for travel is 53 x 40 x 38 cm (21 x 16 x 15 inches). Carrier sizes will vary according to the size of the pet.
- Bookings (USA): 1-800-828-6822 (ext.4)
- Bookings (United Kingdom): +44 (0) 844 873 8000
- Virgin Atlantic website: Click Here
- DEFRA website: Click Here
- DEFRA website (for entering the UK): Click Here